In 2012-2013 the ILO pursued its commitment to effectiveness in international development cooperation and, through its Decent Work Agenda, continued to focus on results, to ensure that resources are spent in a transparent and accountable manner and achieve measurable outcomes and lasting human impact.
Quality appraisal was extended to 448 ILO projects and programmes (a 144 per cent increase on the previous biennium), strengthening internal coordination and contributing to Outcome Based Workplans (OBW). This quality appraisal also contributes to the ILO’s integrated resource management by looking at potential synergies with other funding sources and partners. OBW reviews were strengthened during the biennium, involving the improvement of information and communications technology (ICT) for strategic management and the introduction of regular status updates in monitoring country programme outcomes (CPOs).
Significant progress has been achieved in the following areas:
- Decent Work Country Programmes (DWCPs) are increasingly integrated into UN country programmes and national development frameworks, and remain the main vehicle for delivery of ILO support to countries and ensuring ownership (109 DWCPs are currently active and/or under preparation).
- A reformed structure of ILO Headquarters contributes to improved efficiency, effectiveness, technical support and good governance.
- Donor support and partnerships with other international, regional and national institutions have proved critical in the timely delivery of services and in leveraging political influence.
- Transparency of ILO performance has been enhanced by its joining the International Aid Transparency Initiative (IATI) in September 2012 and the on-line publication of all its development cooperation data since 2005 in the Development Cooperation Dashboard.
- A meta-analysis conducted in 2013 by the ILO Evaluation Unit of 40 independent project evaluations covering the period 2011-2012 found that overall performance in terms of relevance and effectiveness was quite favourable.